Tuesday, June 1, 2010

yoga isn't for wussies

Gotta love those holiday weekends! I had a great time taking my kids to the pool and getting tons of chores done around the house, you know, the extra kind that you never seem to have time for during the week? I always feel so great when those things get done.

Also, as you know, I have been doing lots more yoga lately.  I am using my DVD from Shiva Rea, and since I have been on the beginner level for awhile and feel like it is pretty easy, I decided to step it up a notch and try some of the intermediate stuff.  I had no idea what I was in for.


This is, of course, NOT a picture of me doing this pose, but this is what the intermediate level required.  It was truly the most difficult workout I have ever attempted (and remember...I ran a marathon), and my body is still sore in places I didn't know had muscles.  I am absolutely certain that I looked like a total idiot trying to get this pose together. I finally had to stop the video after awhile, because I just couldn't keep up with Shiva Rea! She makes getting into and out of each pose so graceful and easy. I look like I have just ingested nerve gas, and my feet made loud thuds the entire time. My husband kept coming in to check on me, just to make sure I hadn't broken something (which, halfway through the workout, I kind of wished I had).

I think that trying to do poses like this without any professional form help is potentially dangerous, so I think it's time I took a yoga class or two.  That way somebody can check my form and make sure I am doing things properly. Shiva Rea is convenient, but she won't call 911 if I break my leg doing a firefly pose!


No comments:

Post a Comment