Friday, June 25, 2010

summer slacking

I just realized this morning that I only have 5 weeks left until I have to start training for the Nike Women's Marathon, and I have been SLACKING. I don't remember the last time I went out for a long run. In fact, if I weren't doing boot camp, I would probably not be doing anything at all.  Not a good way to maintain my fitness between races!I really thought that the summer was going to be easier for training; instead, I think the winter might be easier, since there is not a lot going on. I am so much busier in the summer months, and there are softball games to watch, barbecues to go to and cocktails to drink. It all makes for a summer full of fun and not much else. So...in an attempt to scare myself back into exercising, I put together my training plan for Nike.

I am using Hal Higdon's Boston plan for this go around. His marathon plan for novices turned out to be great, but I really want to knock this marathon on its butt, so I'm picking the intensity level up a bit this time. Here is my game plan:


A couple of big differences this go around is that I have a day for a sprint workout, which I did not do last time. I also have two days for weights/strength training.  Mileage-wise, it is about the same, though. It will be interesting to see if the strength training helps keep my legs stronger. I also wonder about the sprints. I do love me a sprint workout, and in boot camp we do them a lot (which is good). I am not a fast sprinter, but I have firsthand experience of how they can shave those mile times. Anything that takes minutes off my time is good for me!

I was invited by a couple of my buddies to run a 13 mile run tomorrow, but I just got invited to two cocktail parties for tonight. What to do? I think maybe I will just really live these last 5 weeks up, then get serious. After all...it's summer, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment