Tuesday, June 8, 2010

correction: some fuss fit camp

I have to amend my previous post regarding the upcoming fit camp. Before it started, we received an email that sounded like it was going to be a really rough session. Monday was our first session, and overwhelmingly, the regular attendees were a little disappointed.

Now, don't get me wrong. There were some aspects of it that were quite challenging. Overall, though, we all feel we have been challenged more in the past. Basically, the class began at 6am with a short  (300-400meter) lap, then some light stretching exercises. I can't say too much here, because I was ten minutes late. My son caught strep throat, and so I was up with him all night and he didn't want me to leave. It is amazing what a cup of juice and the Monsters vs. Aliens can do for a kid. He was fine for me to leave after that (with his Dad watching him, of course.  No social services calls, please).

After warming up, we broke into smaller groups of 4-5 people and did a circuit of four stations. The first was a sprint station, where our partners and us would take turns sprinting between two sets of cones for one minute, then rest for one minute. The cones were not that far apart, and the rest minutes, coupled with the taking turns thing made it ineffective for me.  We did this four times.

The next station involved throwing medicine balls back and forth with our partners for one minute and one minute of rest. Again, I would have eliminated the minute of rest between sets, as it amounted to not a lot of work.

Station #3 was difficult, I must say. We all lined up on a beam and did running step-ups for one minute, followed by a minute of rest.  I would not change anything here. This was difficult.

Finally, we made it to the ab station, where we did a series of abdominal exercises that worked all of the muscle groups. I wouldn't change anything here, either. I don't think abs ever get easier. I don't care how many ab exercises I do, it still hurts to work my abs. I guess that's why I need somebody to tell me to do them. 

Tomorrow is the second session, and I think I will go at 5:30 and get in a 3-4 mile run before it starts. That way I feel like I am getting a good cardio workout in, as well as a total body workout. One very cool thing about this boot camp is that there are quite a few people who are just getting back into fitness. I think this is a great way for them to jump-start themselves into a healthy lifestyle. I really admire people who have made a renewed commitment to getting healthy. I remember very well from when I started that it is awful getting into shape. Once you are in shape it is easy to maintain it...but getting there is a really difficult and painful road. I am sure that because there are so many varying levels of fitness in the camp, it is tough to make sure everyone is getting an adequate workout. I would much rather have the camp be a rewarding challenge for the newcomers, and I hope it starts a life of healthy living for them and their families!

No comments:

Post a Comment