Sunday, January 30, 2011

a total spin freak


It's official...I am a complete spin freak. I started taking classes at the Wellness Center last week, and I am now a dedicated Tuesday, Thursday, and Sunday spinner.  I absolutely love it.  I can definitely feel that I am working different muscles in my legs than running, and that is a very good thing. This year I am going to really focus on cross training a lot more. I love running and will run until I am unable to; but I think the cross training will help me become a better runner and possibly prevent injuries.
I am contemplating a triathlon this year, but am extremely nervous about the bike and swim portions (of course).  I am not a good bike rider. I did not learn to ride a bike until I was an adult, since the bike I had as a child met with an unfortunate accident at the hands of my father and his pickup truck. Needless to say, I am pretty shaky on a bike. I think these spin classes are a great start at getting me more comfortable on a bike. I did have a realization last week, however, that what is missing from the spin bikes is having to keep my balance while biking. I think this is going to be a big part of learning to ride faster, so my bike training will probably have to start sooner rather than later. I really don't want to learn to ride a bike in the snow, though.  I can't imagine that is an easy thing to do. 
Another reason I like spin class so well is that I have a couple of girlfriends who go with me. It has been difficult to get my gfs to head out for a run with me, but they will usually hit up a spin class. It's a great way to catch up with each other and get a great workout in at the same time.

No comments:

Post a Comment