Thursday, July 15, 2010

I am reading the most incredible book right now. One of my husband's softball buddies, and a fellow marathoner, joined the Peace Corps (how cool is that ?!?!), and he left the book for me.  I started reading it last night, and am halfway through already. I can't put it down. 

What is this book, you ask??

It is Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World has Never Seen, by Christopher McDougall.  I am, of course, a subscriber to Runner's World Magazine, and so I recognized his name as a regular contributor. What I did not realize, however, is a running book, Anthropological ethnographic encounter, and novel, all wrapped up in one.  Plus, the writing is great.

Even better, in the part I have read, the strongest runner yet is...get this...a woman. Awesome! She is right in the middle of a major trail race now, and I hope she finishes. I found myself running out of breath with her and bending over on the uphills.

This book makes me want to run. But probably not 100 miles. I'll stick with my pesky 26.2. 

Would you ever run an Ultramarathon?

No comments:

Post a Comment