Monday, October 25, 2010

yay for wine

One of the best parts about my job is that I get to do a little moonlighting at a higher-end restaurant that just opened up in Vermillion. The same man who owns MASABA also owns RED, and we actually met while he was getting the restaurant up and running (you know how I love startups!).  RED is a chef-inspired steakhouse restaurant with an extensive wine list. I have the good fortune to be able to host the Weekly Wine Hour every week at RED, as well as hosting exclusive tasting events for the Wine Lover's Club members. It is a time consuming job, but a fantastic time, and who wouldn't love tasting your way through a wine list?
Tonight we are going to be looking at a few of my favorite wines that are available at RED, namely St. Francis Chardonnay, Angeline Merlot, KokomoCuvee (we JUST got it in and it is fabulous), and the Chateau St. Michelle Gewurtztraminer (a yummy dessert wine). 

The St. Francis is, hands down, my favorite Chardonnay right now.  It is not too oakey, but very buttery and with a great vanilla finish. I love it so much that I have a case of it in my basement.  It's that good!





The Angeline Merlot is unlike any other Merlot I have tasted. While many merlots can be quite tannic, this one doesn't taste that way at all. It is very drinkable just on its own, but it can also handle itself next to a heavy pasta pairing any day of the week.





The Kokomo Cuvee is a blend of four red varietals, and it is absolutely divine. Talk about an easy-drinking wine. It's dark, but don't let that be off-putting. It's smooth as silk and almost too easy to drink too much of (trust me).





 Finally, the Chateau St. Michelle Gewurtztraminer is the perfect wine for after dinner treats. Sometimes I don't want coffee with my dessert. Sometimes I want wine (usually, actually). This is a perfect accompaniment to any dessert item. It's also good with a spicy Thai dish.








If you happen to be in the area between 6 and 7pm tonight, come to RED and spend some time with my favorite wines! If not...I highly recommend them for consumption in your own home, as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment