Friday, May 7, 2010

cinco de mayo deliciosity

I don't know about you, but one of my favorite days is Cinco de Mayo.  It just seems so fun to be able to have a little "fiesta" in the middle of the week.  Plus, I love Mexican food, and any excuse to get down on some yummy tacos or enchiladas...I'm game.

Yesterday I made what is probably the greatest meal ever.  It was amazing.  Delicious.  Yummy. Wow.  I made a rub of ancho chile powder, paprika, cumin, crushed red pepper, sea salt, pepper, and brown sugar and coated pork tenderloin medallions. Then, I put them in the crock pot and added a little chicken broth, lime juice, and a whole lot of garlic and cooked it on low all day long. I ended up with the most flavorful shredded pork on the planet.  Yum. 

Since the pork was rich and spicy, I decided to make a really fresh, easy salsa-ish side to put on top. I put onions, tomatoes, a jalapeno pepper, a ton of cilantro, and some lime juice in the food processer and pulsed it until everything was finely minced.  It smelled delicious and fresh, and was just what the pork needed.

Finally, I whipped up some homemade tortillas. I used to buy tortillas, but it is so easy to make them, and they really taste much better homemade. I combine 3 cups of flour, 2 tsp baking powder, 1 tsp salt, about 5 tbsp lard (I know, but it is so yummy), and about 1 1/4 cups of water. I divide the dough up into small pieces and roll them as flat as I can, then cook them in a really hot frying pan for a minute or so on each side.  I know they are ready to be flipped when they start getting brown spots on them.  I also put paper towels between them while they are cooling, so the moisture doesn't make them soggy. 

I always serve my soft tacos with butter and cilantro white rice, black beans, lettuce, cheese, and guacamole (of course).  Whenever I make these I overeat, but it is totally worth it! 

As a side note, I have started eating lots more pork tenderloin lately. It is one of the better meats for runners, and although it can be a little on the pricey side, they are small and so when they go on sale I stock up.  Also, I have found that kids eat better if they can use their hands, so rolling anything up in a tortilla is a good idea for the kiddos.  Plus, you can hide lots of veggies in there!

No comments:

Post a Comment